Bangladesh close in on series tying win
Harare: Bangladesh will go into the final day of the second Test against Zimbabwe requiring just six wickets to earn a share of the two-match series after dominating another day at Harare Sports Club.
Having set Zimbabwe 401 for victory on the back of half-centuries from Mushfiqur Rahim and Nasir Hossain, Bangladesh reduced their hosts to 138 for four to give themselves every chance of avenging their heavy defeat in the first Test.
All of Zimbabwe`s top five made starts, but Hamilton Masakadza was the only one able to hold off the twin threat of Shakib Al Hasan and Ziaur Rahman, who claimed two wickets apiece.
Masakadza went to stumps unbeaten on 46, with his younger brother Shingirai sent up the order to see out 30 deliveries for his 7 not out.
Zimbabwe`s task was clear in the statistical evidence on offer - they have never successfully chased more than 162 to win a Test, while the highest run chase by anyone on this ground is 192 - achieved by Pakistan in a three-wicket win over the African side 15 years ago.
"It`s very daunting, but I think the guys are still confident," said batting coach Grant Flower.
"We`ve had probably three soft dismissals, but it`s a new day tomorrow."
"The pressure is on Bangladesh because they`re in the driving seat and they will have expectations from back home, so hopefully we can use that."
Bangladesh began day four on 163 for five - an overall lead of 272, which they extended to exactly 400 before declaring on 291 for nine midway through the second session.
Rahim`s 93 was at the heart of their second innings, but he received excellent support from Nasir, who registered his second half-century of the match before finishing unbeaten on 67.
"We were in a bit of trouble early on, so credit goes to Mushfiqur and Shakib Al Hasan for pulling us out of it," Nasir said.
"We`re in a good position in the match now and if we can take two or three wickets in the morning then we should win."
The Masakadza brothers claimed seven of the nine wickets to fall in the Bangladesh innings, with Shingirai claiming figures of 4 for 58 and Hamilton taking 3 for 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced