Bangladesh defeat West Indies by 2 wickets in 5th ODI, clinch series 3-2
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Mirpur: The crowd erupted with joy, as Bangladesh defeated West Indies in the fifth and the final ODI match by 2 wickets to clinch the five match ODI series 3-2 at the Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur.
There were a few anxious moments for the spectators when Kemar Roach picked two wickets off consecutive deliveries with Bangladesh needing 4 runs to win. But Nasir Hossain kept his cool and scored the winning runs. He remained unbeaten on 39, which was an excellent knock down the order under pressure in front of the home crowd.
Bangladesh bowlers once again clicked as a unit as they wrapped Windies innings for just 217 runs in 50 overs. West Indies were once again off to a bad start after their top three batsmen were back to the pavilion with just 17 runs on the board. After that, Kieron Pollard (85 from 74) and Darren Bravo (51 from 108) added 132 runs for the fourth wicket and stabilised the innings.
But once Bravo was dismissed in the 41st over, the lower order batsmen soon collapsed. Shafiul Islam was the pick of the Bangladeshi bowlers as he picked 3 wickets while Mahmudullah and Haque scalped two wickets each.
Chasing 218 to win, Bangladesh were off to a bad start as Kemar Roach dismissed Bangladesh opener’s within no time. He scalped Tamim Iqbal and Anamul Haque in the third over. Skipper Mushfiqur Rahim and Mahmudullah then added 91 runs for the fourth wicket. Both Sunil Narine struck twice to dismiss both the batsmen.
It looked like Bangladesh were all set for another collapse but Nasir Hossain (39*), Mominul Haque (25) and even Sohag Gazi (19) made useful contributions with the bat to win the series before their home crowd.
Prime Minister of Bangladesh Sheikh Hasina was present at the stadium as Bangladeshi players celebrated their Sahara Cup victory in Gangnam Style!
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!