Bangladesh defeat West Indies by 2 wickets in 5th ODI, clinch series 3-2
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Mirpur: The crowd erupted with joy, as Bangladesh defeated West Indies in the fifth and the final ODI match by 2 wickets to clinch the five match ODI series 3-2 at the Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur.
There were a few anxious moments for the spectators when Kemar Roach picked two wickets off consecutive deliveries with Bangladesh needing 4 runs to win. But Nasir Hossain kept his cool and scored the winning runs. He remained unbeaten on 39, which was an excellent knock down the order under pressure in front of the home crowd.
Bangladesh bowlers once again clicked as a unit as they wrapped Windies innings for just 217 runs in 50 overs. West Indies were once again off to a bad start after their top three batsmen were back to the pavilion with just 17 runs on the board. After that, Kieron Pollard (85 from 74) and Darren Bravo (51 from 108) added 132 runs for the fourth wicket and stabilised the innings.
But once Bravo was dismissed in the 41st over, the lower order batsmen soon collapsed. Shafiul Islam was the pick of the Bangladeshi bowlers as he picked 3 wickets while Mahmudullah and Haque scalped two wickets each.
Chasing 218 to win, Bangladesh were off to a bad start as Kemar Roach dismissed Bangladesh opener’s within no time. He scalped Tamim Iqbal and Anamul Haque in the third over. Skipper Mushfiqur Rahim and Mahmudullah then added 91 runs for the fourth wicket. Both Sunil Narine struck twice to dismiss both the batsmen.
It looked like Bangladesh were all set for another collapse but Nasir Hossain (39*), Mominul Haque (25) and even Sohag Gazi (19) made useful contributions with the bat to win the series before their home crowd.
Prime Minister of Bangladesh Sheikh Hasina was present at the stadium as Bangladeshi players celebrated their Sahara Cup victory in Gangnam Style!
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends