Bangladesh lift ban on all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan
Bangladesh all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan`s six-month ban imposed last month for "misbehaviour" has been lifted, the Bangladesh Cricket Board said on Tuesday.
Dhaka: Bangladesh all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan`s six-month ban imposed last month for "misbehaviour" has been lifted, the Bangladesh Cricket Board said on Tuesday.
"After Sept. 15, Shakib will be available for selection," BCB president Nazmul Hassan told reporters after a board meeting.
However, the embargo on participating in overseas competitions will stand.
Bangladesh`s most prominent cricketer was banned for what the BCB called a "severe attitude problem".
He later apologised and made a passionate public plea to the board to reduce the punishment.
Shakib, who has played 34 tests and 136 one-day-internationals, was accused of travelling to the West Indies to play in the Caribbean Premier League Twenty20 tournament without clearance from his board and was subsequently ordered to return to Bangladesh.
The 27-year-old had reportedly threatened to quit playing for his country and had an altercation with coach Chandika Hathurusinghe. Shakib has denied the allegation.
Tuesday`s decision paved the way for Shakib to play in the home series against Zimbabwe in October-November and the Asian Games kicking off on Sept. 19.
“The Board acknowledged that the player had demonstrated exemplary behaviour since he was handed the penalty and we have been pleased with the manner of his appeal,” Hassan said.
“The Board will continue to monitor him once he returns to playing cricket. We hope that he has had the opportunity to reflect on a difficult phase in his life and will come back as the player the world knows and the personality everyone expects him to be.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city