Bangladesh`s Shariful banned for spot-fixing
Dhaka: Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) has banned former cricketer Shariful Haque for indefinite period for his role in the spot-fixing allegations made against him by Mashrafe Mortaza ahead of the Bangladesh Premier League, BCB president said on Tuesday.
A day before BPL started, Mashrafe had claimed that he was approached by Shariful and the committee that was formed to probe the claims, headed by BCB`s senior vice-president Mahbubul Anam, has substantiated the claims.
"He (Shariful) will not be allowed to take part in any cricketing activities in the country in any capacity," AHM Mustafa Kamal, the board chief, said.
"The sub-committee investigated allegations about the cricketer who tried to influence the BPL. The indefinite ban will be applicable from today.
"This message will go to everybody. Nobody can make use of him. We will inform the ICC as well. We took the decision based on whatever we could substantiate on," he added.
Shariful, on his part, said he will appeal to the BCB to change the decision.
"I will definitely appeal against this ban, one hundred percent," he told ESPNcricinfo immediately after the announcement was made.
"I haven`t received any word on it from the cricket board, but I will defend myself and I will let everyone know about it."
Shariful, who played just one ODI for Bangladesh, against India in 1998 and had unofficially retired from the game, thus achieved the dubious distinction of becoming the first Bangladesh player to be banned for spot-fixing.
According to reports published by some Dhaka newspapers in February, Shariful had asked Mashrafe to provide information on whether he would play certain matches and even whether he`d be wearing his sunglasses or cap.
In exchange, Mashrafe was told, he would be paid 15-20 per cent of the earnings from the spot-betting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof