Banned Pak quick Asif`s spot-fixing appeal rejected
London: Banned Pakistani fast bowler Mohammad Asif`s appeal against his spot-fixing conviction has reportedly been rejected.
Asif, along with fellow paceman Mohammad Amir and former Pakistan captain Salman Butt were found guilty of being part of a betting scam in 2011, for which, the trio is serving five-year playing bans, handed to them by the International Cricket Council (ICC).
Judges at the Court of Appeal in London had declared that they were `not persuaded to overturn the ruling in regards to Asif, who was released from jail in May last year after serving half of a 12-month sentence.
Asif has been banned for seven years, two of which have been suspended.
Butt, who has been banned for 10 years by the ICC, with five years of that ban suspended, was jailed for 30 months after being found guilty of performing a key role in the scheme in which illegal payments were made to deliberately bowl no balls during the Lord`s Test against England in August 2010.
In April, both Butt and Asif lost their appeals at the Court of Arbitration for Sport to have their bans from cricket overturned.
Amir, who was 18 at the time of the offence, was banned for five years and sentenced to six months in a young offenders` institution, although he has not appealed against his ban.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ED summons former Air Chief Marshal S.P. Tyagi
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Ex-servicemen suspend OROP protest, threaten to intensify agitation if demands not met
- West Bengal goes for fifth phase of polling on Saturday
- Tajikistan bans Russian-style surnames for children
- S&P keeps UK on triple-A rating, says expects no Brexit
- Google Translate turns 10: Five interesting things you want to know about it