‘BBL hindering Test cricket’s growth in Australia’
Sydney: The sparkling Big Bash League is freezing Test cricket’s growth in Australia, and something needs to be done to preserve the longest form of the game, according to senior cricket writer Peter Badel.
“Cricket Australia (CA) faces some major promotional challenges to reinvigorate Test cricket in the hearts and minds of the Australian public,” Badel wrote in his column for News.com.au.
“And, ironically, the greatest cannibalistic threat to the five-day game is coming from within, via the Big Bash, the very concept intended to cultivate and complement the sport``s growth,” he added.
“CA boss James Sutherland and his marketing boffins should be deeply alarmed by the feeble crowd figures for the first Test against Sri Lanka in Hobart,” he further wrote.
Badel added: “In a week where local hero Ricky Ponting was paraded to his people to honour his Test retirement, a day at the cricket should have been the hottest ticket in town.”
“Given his incredible contribution, Ponting deserved a full house in Hobart. Instead, he waved to a slew of empty seats on day one, when an army of schoolkids issued hundreds of free tickets swelled the humble 6221 attendance,” he further wrote.
“Over the first three days, a total of 14,419 fans rolled up to watch an Australian side considered one of the leading teams in world sport. It barely eclipsed the 14,185 who turned up to the same ground to watch a Big Bash semi-final between the Hurricanes and Sixers in January,” he added.
“Test cricket is too meaningful to ever become an irrelevance, but Cricket Australia needs to find ways to promote its elite talent to ensure they play before bumper crowds and full houses,” he concluded.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!