BBL side Sydney Sixers terminates Akmal’s contract
Sydney: Australian Big Bash League (BBL) team Sydney Sixers has terminated Pakistan batsman Umar Akmal’s contract after it was revealed he would only be allowed to play in the team`s opening match.
A day after fellow Pakistan star Shahid Afridi pulled out of his deal with cross-town rivals Sydney Thunder, Akmal`s BBL hopes were dashed by the Sixers.
After initially ruling Akmal, Afridi and Adelaide Strikers signing Saeed Ajmal ineligible to play in Australia`s Twenty20 tournament due to domestic playing obligations back home, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) softened its stance to allow the trio to play the early stages of the competition.
However, due to scheduling Akmal would have been available for just one game for the Sixers and that wasn`t enough for Sixers general manager Stuart Clark.
“While it would have been great to have Umar here for the start of the BBL season, the short time frame offered is not in the club`s best interest and we have decided to see if a suitable replacement is available rather than continue down this path,” a leading Australian daily quoted Clark, as saying.
The Sixers have been linked with England batsman Kevin Pietersen and Clark said he would not sign an import just for the sake of having one.
“We are confident our strong roster will be able to cover the loss of Umar should we not find a suitable replacement,” Clark said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY