BCCI approves conduct of T20 inter-university cricket
Mumbai: The Cricket Board has approved the organisation of a new inter-university tournament in the T20 format on the lines of the existing Rohinton Baria Trophy.
The Toyota University Championship is a joint initiative of an English news channel, Union Human Resource Development Ministry and Association of Universities.
The new tournamnet has been approved by the BCCI`s Working Committee, said Board President N Srinivasan via a video message at a function organised by the TV channel on Thursday.
"The proposal to conduct and give emphasis to university cricket by All India Universities was approved at the working committee of the BCCI," he said.
"The Rohinton Baria tournament has been extremely popular and competitive. This tournament has churned out a lot of good players, who went on to play for the country. The new initiative will enable people to see university cricket closely and also develop enthusiasm for the game," Srinivasan said.
"The Rohinton Baria is still an important and competitive tournament. For people to see university cricket, which they are not doing now, will be a big difference. I think it will give more opportunity.
"In a sense, one more tournament adds to the opportunity. Viewership being brought into university cricket is a very big thing," the BCCI chief added.
Eight teams will compete in the new tourney. The teams that have been selected from the four zones include Aligarh Muslim University, Awadhesh Pratap Singh University, Veer Bahadur Singh Purvanchal University, Mumbai University, Jiwaji University, University of Madras and Jain University.
Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan has been roped in as the brand ambassador for the competition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state