BCCI can advertise for new IPL franchise: Srinivasan
Mumbai: BCCI president N Srinivasan refused to talk about the issue of IPL franchise Deccan Chargers as it was sub-judice, but said that the Board can advertise for a new team to be added to the Indian Premier League.
"I cannot comment on the matter (of Deccan Chargers) as it is currently sub-judice. I`m informed that the court may issue an order soon," Srinivasan told reporters after the Board`s 83rd AGM here.
"But as far as the Board is concerned, it is at liberty to advertise for another franchise. But that`s a decision to be taken. If we have to go with nine teams, so be it," he added.
The Bombay High Court appointed retired Supreme Court Judge C K Thakkar as arbitrator to resolve within three months the dispute between BCCI and Deccan Chronicles Holdings Ltd (DCHL) over the Board`s termination of Deccan Chargers from IPL.
Justice S J Kathawala ordered appointment of Justice Thakkar to mediate after the parties failed to come up with mutually acceptable names of arbitrators.
The court, however, reserved its order on a plea made by DCHL to stay the BCCI`s decision to terminate the contract of the cash-strapped Deccan Chargers at its emergency IPL Governing Council meeting in Chennai last week.
The court further ordered DCHL to give Rs 100 crore bank guarantee to BCCI within 10 days after it passes an order on the former`s petition seeking a stay on the termination.
The high court had earlier ordered status quo to be maintained regarding the termination of the franchise by BCCI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what