BCCI chief Srinivasan to meet arrested Meiyappan, may be asked to step down
Mumbai: Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) president and India Cements owner N.Srinivasan is likely to meet his arrested son-in-law Gurunath Meiyappan here around 6 p.m. on Saturday evening.
Mumbai Crime Branch officials confirmed that Srinivasan had got in touch with their seniors on Saturday morning to seek permission to meet Meiyappan, who was arrested late on Friday night after police said that they had substantial evidence of his role in betting and spot fixing in the ongoing sixth edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL).
Meiyappan is expected to be produced before a local court here at around 3 p.m., and added that Srinivasan has left his summer holiday home in Kodaikanal for Mumbai, where he is also likely to meet senior officials of the BCCI to decide on the next course of action.
Speculation is also rife that Srinivasan may be asked to step down from his post of president, pending completion of investigations into the the IPL spot fixing scam.
The arrest of his son-in-law Meiyappan has given rise to the demands for his resignation from the post of BCCI president.
Late on Friday night, Srinivasan said he will not resign from his post in the wake of his son-in-law``s arrest by the crime branch of the Mumbai police for his involvement in the Indian Premier League (IPL) betting-spot fixing scandal.
In an interview given to the CNN-IBN television channel, Srinivassan said he had no intention of resigning. He was also quoted by the NDTV channel, as saying that Meiyappan``s arrest was an attempt to target him through his son-in-law, and therefore, there was no question of him resigning.
The demand for Srinivasan``s resignation is getting louder after Meiyappan, Chennai Super Kings chief executive, was interrogated by crime branch officers of the Mumbai police and later arrested on Friday night.
Chennai Super Kings owner India Cements sought to distance itself from Meiyappan, saying he was just an honorary member of the management committee.
Small time Bollywood actor Vindu Dara Singh``s call records showed that he was in constant touch with the BCCI president``s son-in-law. Vindu was often seen sitting in VIP boxes, as an invitee of Meiyappan, during Super Kings matches in the IPL.
Meiyappan, who was untraceable for the past two days, was spotted at Srinivasan``s farmhouse in Kodaikanal, some 500 km from Chennai. He left for Mumbai by a chartered flight from Madurai and was met there by the Crime Branch officials, who whisked him away to their south Mumbai office for questioning.
Questioned for over three hours, Meiyappan was confronted with the evidence against him and arrested around midnight.
Srinivasan remained in the line of fire with Sahara Group chief Subrata Roy and former International Cricket Council (ICC) and BCCI president Sharad Pawar``s party Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) calling for his resignation as BCCI chief on moral grounds, though later the party seemed to distance itself from the demand made by a party spokesman.
Sources in the Board of Control for Cricket in India ( BCCI) said Srinivasan, who was aspiring to be the next ICC president, was likely to step down if Mumbai police arrested Meiyappan, who has been accused of having links with bookies.
Among other developments on Friday, a court granted Mumbai police custody of Vindu till May 28 besides of two others - hawala operator Alpesh Taneja and a bookie, Prem Taneja.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly