BCCI defers enquiry proceedings against Modi till Apr 5
Mumbai: BCCI`s Disciplinary Committee, which was to start inquiry against Lalit Modi today, has deferred it until the Bombay High Court passes an order on the former IPL chairman``s appeal challenging the proceedings.
A division bench of Justices Ranjana Desai and R G Ketkar was hearing Modi`s appeal challenging an earlier order directing the cricket board to initiate the proceedings.
The bench after reserving its order till April 5 asked the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) to consider deferring the Disciplinary Committee`s proceedings against Modi till the appeal is decided.
BCCI counsel Rafiq Dada told the High Court that he would send a request to the committee, which was expected to start proceedings this evening in Delhi, to consider postponing it till April 5.
"Following this the hearing of the committee comprising Arun Jaitley, Jyotiraditya Scindia and Chirayu Amin to be held today, tomorrow and on March 24 was cancelled," Modi`s lawyer Mehmood Abdi said.
Justice S J Kathawala had on March 4 dismissed Modi``s application challenging the existence of the disciplinary panel, formed last year to look into charges of financial improprieties against Modi during his tenure as the IPL chairman.
Pulling up Modi for trying to delay the proceedings, the HC had lifted its interim stay on it and directed the BCCI to go ahead.