BCCI, ECB may push for formal creation of post of ICC chairman
Kuala Lumpur: The ICC`s annual conference that opens in Kuala Lumpur might see the financially stronger Full Members - India, England, Australia and South Africa seek a change in policy with the formal creation of the post of chairman, starting 2014.
If that happens, the ICC presidency will turn into a one-year ceremonial position thereby giving the chairman greater executive authority.
According to a leading cricket portal, the names that are doing rounds as potential candidates for the post of the first ICC chairman are those of BCCI president N Srinivasan and ECB chairman Giles Clarke. The ICC chairman, if instituted, must not be a serving member of any national board. Srinivasan`s three-year term as BCCI chief ends in 2014, and Clarke`s term at the ECB ends in 2015.
The conference will have new president, Alan Isaac of New Zealand formally take charge from Sharad Pawar, the confirmation of the choice of Dave Richardson as the new ICC chief executive, and a significant constitutional amendment for the fourth time in 16 years.
The ICC Board will meet on Tuesday and Wednesday to discuss, among other things, the Woolf recommendations on governance. The CEC meeting may be expected to discuss affairs of cricketing import - particularly the most recent recommendations made by the ICC`s cricket committee - but its consequences will be entirely political.
The modifications regarding Decision Review System (DRS) will also be discussed.
At the Hong Kong conference, a modified DRS had been made `mandatory` only to be turned over by its Executive Board in October, returning to the system dependent on bilateral agreement and financial constraints.
Now, the ICC`s cricket committee has once again recommended a "universal application" of the DRS. While the cricketing logic behind the recommendation is sound, its political future looks grim as its main opponent is the financially powerful and influential BCCI - and its South Asian neighbours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical