BCCI, ECB may push for formal creation of post of ICC chairman
Kuala Lumpur: The ICC`s annual conference that opens in Kuala Lumpur might see the financially stronger Full Members - India, England, Australia and South Africa seek a change in policy with the formal creation of the post of chairman, starting 2014.
If that happens, the ICC presidency will turn into a one-year ceremonial position thereby giving the chairman greater executive authority.
According to a leading cricket portal, the names that are doing rounds as potential candidates for the post of the first ICC chairman are those of BCCI president N Srinivasan and ECB chairman Giles Clarke. The ICC chairman, if instituted, must not be a serving member of any national board. Srinivasan`s three-year term as BCCI chief ends in 2014, and Clarke`s term at the ECB ends in 2015.
The conference will have new president, Alan Isaac of New Zealand formally take charge from Sharad Pawar, the confirmation of the choice of Dave Richardson as the new ICC chief executive, and a significant constitutional amendment for the fourth time in 16 years.
The ICC Board will meet on Tuesday and Wednesday to discuss, among other things, the Woolf recommendations on governance. The CEC meeting may be expected to discuss affairs of cricketing import - particularly the most recent recommendations made by the ICC`s cricket committee - but its consequences will be entirely political.
The modifications regarding Decision Review System (DRS) will also be discussed.
At the Hong Kong conference, a modified DRS had been made `mandatory` only to be turned over by its Executive Board in October, returning to the system dependent on bilateral agreement and financial constraints.
Now, the ICC`s cricket committee has once again recommended a "universal application" of the DRS. While the cricketing logic behind the recommendation is sound, its political future looks grim as its main opponent is the financially powerful and influential BCCI - and its South Asian neighbours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured