BCCI, ECB may push for formal creation of post of ICC chairman
Kuala Lumpur: The ICC`s annual conference that opens in Kuala Lumpur might see the financially stronger Full Members - India, England, Australia and South Africa seek a change in policy with the formal creation of the post of chairman, starting 2014.
If that happens, the ICC presidency will turn into a one-year ceremonial position thereby giving the chairman greater executive authority.
According to a leading cricket portal, the names that are doing rounds as potential candidates for the post of the first ICC chairman are those of BCCI president N Srinivasan and ECB chairman Giles Clarke. The ICC chairman, if instituted, must not be a serving member of any national board. Srinivasan`s three-year term as BCCI chief ends in 2014, and Clarke`s term at the ECB ends in 2015.
The conference will have new president, Alan Isaac of New Zealand formally take charge from Sharad Pawar, the confirmation of the choice of Dave Richardson as the new ICC chief executive, and a significant constitutional amendment for the fourth time in 16 years.
The ICC Board will meet on Tuesday and Wednesday to discuss, among other things, the Woolf recommendations on governance. The CEC meeting may be expected to discuss affairs of cricketing import - particularly the most recent recommendations made by the ICC`s cricket committee - but its consequences will be entirely political.
The modifications regarding Decision Review System (DRS) will also be discussed.
At the Hong Kong conference, a modified DRS had been made `mandatory` only to be turned over by its Executive Board in October, returning to the system dependent on bilateral agreement and financial constraints.
Now, the ICC`s cricket committee has once again recommended a "universal application" of the DRS. While the cricketing logic behind the recommendation is sound, its political future looks grim as its main opponent is the financially powerful and influential BCCI - and its South Asian neighbours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling