BCCI has not held talks with Flower: Sanjay Patel
Mumbai:The Cricket Board on Saturday rubbished a report that it had held discussions with former England coach Andy Flower about taking over as the chief coach of the Indian team in place of incumbent Duncan Fletcher following the country`s dismal show in South Africa and New Zealand.
"That`s rubbish. I am the secretary of the Board and no such discussions (with Flower) have taken place," BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel told PTI when asked for his reaction.
The report in a national daily quoting a highly-placed source in the BCCI said that a Board official had held a round of talks with former Zimbabwe skipper Flower.
"Nothing has been finalised as these are preliminary talks with the Board likely to invite applications from suitable candidates for the post next month.
Routine process would be followed before handing the responsibilities to the new coach. But so far, Flower has been contacted and let`s see who wins the race," the source had said, according to the report.
Patel said he would like to know which Board official had said this to the newspaper.
Patel, however, said the Board would talk to India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Fletcher, in all probability after the ICC T20 World Cup in Bangladesh, over the recent poor display of the squad in South Africa and New Zealand where the team lost ODIs as well as Test rubbers.
"Yes, we will be talking to them. This is a normal procedure that we adopt after every tour. In all probability that would happen only after the T20 World Cup," informed Patel.
The World T20 event is scheduled in Bangladesh from March 16 to April 6.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- 'Saffron party will still face defeat in the upcoming assembly elections', BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna Joshi jump
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh