BCCI not satisfied with Modi’s reply: N Srinivasan
Mumbai: Board of Control in India secretary N Srinivasan on Tuesday said that the BCCI was not satisfied with suspended IPL chief Lalit Modi’s reply to the apex body’s show cause notice.
BCCI secretary N Srinivasan said he found Modi`s reply to the three showcause notices that had been slapped on him "unacceptable".
He said his observation has been forwarded to the affiliate units and would seek ratification in the Board`s July 3 Special General Body Meeting, which is expected to oust Modi.
"Since Mr Lalit Modi had accused me of being biased against him, after a thorough and careful reading of his explanation against the charges, I have passed an order that it was not acceptable," Srinivasan said.
"So, as advised by BCCI President Shashank Manohar, my order has been referred to the members of the General Body to ratify my decision on the SGM called on July 3. It is left to them to ratify my order after which the matter will be referred to the Disciplinary Committee," he explained.
"The showcause notices, his reply to them and my order have been dispatched to all the members and a decision will be taken in the meeting," the BCCI secretary said.
Modi was suspended from IPL Commissioner`s post in April soon after the third edition of the Twenty20 League on charges of financial irregularities, including allegations of
bid-rigging and proxy investment.
The BCCI served a second showcause notice on him on May 6 after England and Wales Cricket Board chief Giles Clarke had accused Modi of plotting a parallel IPL in England and Wales and inciting counties to rebel against ECB.
“BCCI is not satisfied with Modi’s reply,” Srinivasan told Zeenews and also added that he had sent a report to the Disciplinary Committee on the outspoken IPL commissioner, asking for strict action.
Lalit Modi has been embroiled in controversies from months about the allegations of money laundering, favouritism, disciplinary lapses among many others. The entire row cost him a suspension from the top post of the billion dollar T20 league that was recording mind-boggling profits despite a global slowdown.
A third notice was slapped on Modi on May 31 on charges of selling of theatrical rights and 150-second commercial breaks in between deliveries during IPL III.
Modi submitted a staggering 15,000-page reply to thefirst notice even though his subsequent responses were less voluminous.
Srinivasan said since Manohar has recused himself from proceedings against Modi, as was sought by the suspended IPL Commissioner, a new member would be appointed in BCCI`s Disciplinary Committee.
"Since Lalit Modi has also accused Mr Manohar (of being biased), he would be replaced by another member to be decided by the General Body," Srinivasan said.
BJP leader Arun Jaitley, who heads Delhi and District Cricket Association, and Chirayu Amin, who is the interim IPL chief, are the two other members of the Disciplinary Committee.