BCCI to cut down tenure of IPL Governing Council
Mumbai: In a move that can be viewed as cutting down the vast powers enjoyed previously by the Indian Premier League, the Cricket Board has decided to limit the IPL Governing Council`s tenure from five years to one.
The BCCI is all set to make this important change at its AGM on September 29 in the wake of the scandal which engulfed the now suspended Lalit Modi-led IPL, a sub-committee of the Board, and bring it on par with its other sub-committees, revealed a top source today.
"It needs a constitutional change and can be done at the AGM. The idea is to bring down the IPL Governing Council`s tenure to one year, on par with the other sub-committees of the Board," the source told PTI.
The reconstituted IPL GC will also have only two former cricketers, and not three as it is at present, and will have a Chairman, five other members plus all the office bearers of the BCCI in it, the source said.
The present 13-strong committee comprises three ex-captains in Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi, Sunil Gavaskar and Ravi Shastri and they are entrusted with looking after the cricketing part of what is essentially a business-cum-sport venture of the BCCI.
Under Modi, who was suspended on April 26 and is facing a slew of charges of financial irregularities in the running of the T20 League, the IPL virtually functioned as a parallel power centre as he was given free reins in running the League.
Board President Shashank Manohar, after the suspension of Modi, admitted at a press conference that in hindsight it could be said too much power vested on one man (Modi) was a "mistake" committed by the Board.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'