BCCI yet to decide Tendulkar`s 200th Test venue: Shukla
Kanpur: Former BCCI vice-president Rajiv Shukla today said that the board has not yet decided which city will host Sachin Tendulkar`s much-anticipated 200th Test during the two-match series against West Indies in November.
"BCCI has not yet decided which city will host Sachin Tendulkar`s 200 Test. Many state associations have shown interest in hosting the much-hyped match but BCCI is yet to arrive at a decision. Every association wants that Sachin achieves the historic feat at its stadium," Shukla said.
"Kolkata and Mumbai are the strong contenders. Eden Gardens has a sitting capacity of one lakh, while in Mumbai we have around 65,000," he added.
Asked if Kanpur can host the historic Test, Shukla said: "Kanpur`s Green Park stadium has a small sitting capacity (30,000) and it is unlikely to host the 200th Test."
Shukla, however, hoped that Green Park stadium will host one of the ODIs between India and West Indies, and said that the Uttar Pradesh Cricket Association (UPCA) is in touch with the state government to bring cricket back to the city.
The former IPL chairman also informed that the UPCA is looking for a land near Kanpur to build an international stadium for which BCCI is ready to fund the project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins
- Rohit Shetty's 'Ram Lakhan' remake not happening anymore? Here's what we know so far!