Beer and grin it; Australia flout ICC rules and violate WACA
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Perth: A video footage obtained by a news channel showed a group of people on and around the pitch at WACA stadium, Perth and some of them seemed to be carrying beer bottles on the turf on the eve of the Test match.
ICC rules clearly state that the pitch area has to be roped-off before the match and no one should be allowed to go near it, let alone some merry makers.
The independent video shows a bunch of people lazing on the pitch with beer bottles in their hands, a mismanagement example by the Australian groundsmen.
There was instant criticism from the Indian cricketing circles on the issue and Cricket Australia is yet to give a clarification.
The footage showed three or four ground-staff sitting on the wicket with beer Can and the Indian TV channel said it had acquired it through independent source.
The visuals showed some of the barefooted staff having accreditation card while there were others who did not have any card at all.
Senior BCCI functionary Rajiv Shukla said the Cricket Australia must look into the issue.
"It is a serious matter and the Australian cricket Board should look into it, It is the responsibility of the host cricket Board to maintain the wicket. It is their prime responsibility," Shukla said.
Asked if they have talked to the Cricket Australia about it, he said, "It's upto the team management to look into it. if there is a complaint only then we can take it up. We are awaiting the report of the team management."
"I would like to urge the Australian Cricket Board to look into it. There should be no foreign element on the wicket. The sanctity of the wicket should be maintained," he added.
The channel said as per the ICC rules, the track should be covered and cordoned off ahead of a Test match.
It was not clear whether the Indian team management has lodged a protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical