‘Best batsman need not be no. 3 in any cricket squad’, says Chappell
Sydney: Cricket legend Ian Chappell believes that Australia`s batting order was compromised by Ricky Ponting agreeing to a demotion and Michael Clarke`s reluctance to move up.
In his column in News.com.au, Chappell says that Australia have a batting combination that is too easily cracked.
Chappell says, “the myth that the best batsman should be at three was born in the Bradman era. However, he should at least reside in the top four and not be parked away at five as is currently the situation.”
According to him, the ideal combination of openers would be right and left-handed, like Michael Slater and Mark Taylor, with one a goer and the other a steady player.
“That makes David Warner and Watson the ideal pair, as the former can quickly devastate the opposition and the latter plays pace well and is rarely dismissed early,” he writes.
Chappell says while a typical No.4 is a Greg Chappell or Mark Waugh, as both players had a wide range of strokes, the technique to survive the early loss of wickets and the inclination to dominate wherever possible, there`s no type-cast for five and six, but they should be able to play both spin and pace.
“The current team, with a plethora of openers, is in part a reflection on the dearth of young players successfully batting in crucial positions for their states. The system is not producing young players to plug these gaps at Test level and the Argus report has done little to rectify the flaws,” wrote Chappell.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand