Big Bash: Renegades beat Thunder for first win
Sydney: Chris Gayle`s explosive 75 off 54 balls went in vain as the Sydney Thunder lost to Melbourne Renegades by six runs in Twenty20 Big Bash League here Friday.
Melbourne, electing to bat, could only manage an under-par 140/8, largely thanks to the two openers Aaron Finch (41) and Brad Hodge (44), who strung a 82-run partnership.
Coming out to open for Sydney, Chris Gayle once again looked in sparkling form, much to the delight of the home fans. However, their ecstasy was short-lived as wickets tumbled at the other end. Pakistani all-rounder Shahid Afridi starred with the ball for the Renegades, taking three wickets for 21 runs.
This victory gives the Renegades their first win of the tournament while the Thunders suffered their first loss.
Melbourne Renegades 140/8 in 20 overs (Brad Hodge 44, Aaron Finch 41; Sean Abbott 2-21, Luke Butterworth 2-27) vs. Sydney Thunder 134/7 in 20 overs (Chris Gayle 75, Usman Khawaja 17; Shahid Afridi 3-21, Shaun Tait 2-31)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Bid goodbye to frizzy hair this monsoon
- Xiaomi Mi Max smartphone, MIUI 8 to be launched today
- Amit Shah questions circumstances behind Syama Prasad Mookerjee's death, accuses Nehru of historic blunder on J&K issue
- SHAMEFUL! Hindu journalist in Pakistan forced to drink from separate glass in office as Muslims raise objections
- Be ready to tackle floods, Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik's message to administration