Big Bash: Renegades beat Thunder for first win
Sydney: Chris Gayle`s explosive 75 off 54 balls went in vain as the Sydney Thunder lost to Melbourne Renegades by six runs in Twenty20 Big Bash League here Friday.
Melbourne, electing to bat, could only manage an under-par 140/8, largely thanks to the two openers Aaron Finch (41) and Brad Hodge (44), who strung a 82-run partnership.
Coming out to open for Sydney, Chris Gayle once again looked in sparkling form, much to the delight of the home fans. However, their ecstasy was short-lived as wickets tumbled at the other end. Pakistani all-rounder Shahid Afridi starred with the ball for the Renegades, taking three wickets for 21 runs.
This victory gives the Renegades their first win of the tournament while the Thunders suffered their first loss.
Melbourne Renegades 140/8 in 20 overs (Brad Hodge 44, Aaron Finch 41; Sean Abbott 2-21, Luke Butterworth 2-27) vs. Sydney Thunder 134/7 in 20 overs (Chris Gayle 75, Usman Khawaja 17; Shahid Afridi 3-21, Shaun Tait 2-31)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt