Big Bash: Renegades beat Thunder for first win
Sydney: Chris Gayle`s explosive 75 off 54 balls went in vain as the Sydney Thunder lost to Melbourne Renegades by six runs in Twenty20 Big Bash League here Friday.
Melbourne, electing to bat, could only manage an under-par 140/8, largely thanks to the two openers Aaron Finch (41) and Brad Hodge (44), who strung a 82-run partnership.
Coming out to open for Sydney, Chris Gayle once again looked in sparkling form, much to the delight of the home fans. However, their ecstasy was short-lived as wickets tumbled at the other end. Pakistani all-rounder Shahid Afridi starred with the ball for the Renegades, taking three wickets for 21 runs.
This victory gives the Renegades their first win of the tournament while the Thunders suffered their first loss.
Melbourne Renegades 140/8 in 20 overs (Brad Hodge 44, Aaron Finch 41; Sean Abbott 2-21, Luke Butterworth 2-27) vs. Sydney Thunder 134/7 in 20 overs (Chris Gayle 75, Usman Khawaja 17; Shahid Afridi 3-21, Shaun Tait 2-31)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India