Bird, Khawaja named in Australian squad for second Test
Melbourne: Cricket Australia`s (CA) national selection panel (NSP) Tuesday named a 13-player squad for the second Test against Sri Lanka starting on Boxing Day here at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG).
Jackson Bird replaced Ben Hilfenhaus as the latter is out due to injury while left-hand batsman Usman Khawaja has been brought into the side as a cover for skipper Michael Clarke.
Commenting on the squad, national selector John Inverarity said: "Ben Hilfenhaus was not considered for selection due to injury and he has been replaced by his Tasmanian team-mate Jackson Bird.
Jackson`s outstanding first-class figures of 87 wickets at 19.72 from 17 matches have been rewarded with his inclusion in the squad."
"Michael Clarke is in doubt due to the injury he sustained whilst batting on the fourth day of the first Test. Usman Khawaja comes into the squad as cover for Michael," he said.
"Usman has been in good form this season. He has played especially well on occasions when conditions for batting have been very difficult," said Inverarity in a press release.
Commenting on the injuries of Michael Clarke and Ben Hilfenhaus, Australian team physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said: "Michael Clarke has a low grade hamstring injury. He will have intensive treatment over the next week with aim of being available for the Boxing Day Test match."
"Ben Hilfenhaus has showed some good signs over the last 24 hours, but will not recover from his side injury in time for the Boxing Day Test. His return to bowling will be determined by his progress and response to treatment over the next week," Kountouris said.
The following is the Australian squad: Michael Clarke (C), Shane Watson, Jackson Bird, Ed Cowan, Phillip Hughes, Mike Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, David Warner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now