Black Cap Kane Williamson banned from bowling
Wellington: New Zealand batsman Kane Williamson has been banned from bowling his occasional off-spin in international cricket because of an illegal action, New Zealand Cricket said on Wednesday.
Williamson was reported by the match officials during the second test against West Indies in Port of Spain in June and independent analysis confirmed that his elbow extension exceeded the 15 degrees permitted by the rules.
"I will concentrate on changing whatever`s necessary to return to the bowling crease," Williamson said in a media release.
"Clearly, the onus is on me to satisfy assessors as to the legality of my action, and I`m aware I have some hard work in front of me to achieve that goal.
"It`s never nice, going through this sort of process but it will be worth it if I can manage to bowl again at international level."
Williamson, 23, has taken 24 wickets in 34 test matches, 23 wickets in 54 one-day outings and three wickets in 19 Twenty20 appearances for New Zealand.
The suspension will stand until he has submitted independent biomechanical analysis that satisfies assessors that his action is legal.
"Kane`s disappointed, clearly – anyone in his situation would feel the same way," said New Zealand coach Mike Hesson.
"He now has a challenge on his hands if he`s to bowl again at the top level, but we`re very hopeful he can manage it."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!