Blow for Pakistan as Junaid ruled out of Asia Cup
Lahore: Pakistan have lost their pace spearhead, Junaid Khan for the forthcoming Asia Cup tournament after he was ruled out with a knee injury, which he picked during the recently-concluded series against England in the United Arab Emirates.
Junaid had sustained a torn stomach muscle last year in November during the series against Sri Lanka, which ruled him out of action for six weeks.
Sources close to the revamped national selection committee today said that Junaid would not be available for the tournament in Dhaka.
"He is out because the new chief selector, Iqbal Qasim has made it clear to the board that he will take only select 100 per cent fit players in the national team while Dav Whatmore, who is due to take over as head coach by Sunday, has also told the board he lays lot of stress on fitness," the source said.
The source said the national selection committee is expected to meet tomorrow in Lahore to select the Asia Cup squad after consultation with captain, Misbah-ul-Haq and Whatmore.
"Junaid is out for at least three weeks which means there is a bright chance that the selectors might recall fast bowler, Mohammad Sami who had a successful time in the Bangladesh Premier League," the source said.
He said since the Asia Cup was being held in Mirpur where most of the BPL matches were held, the selectors would be giving a lot of weight to the performance of Pakistani players in the Bangladesh league.
"Sami, Ahmad Shehzad and even Imran Nazir are likely to be considered for the Asia Cup," he added.
Another source said Junaid, 21,had injured himself during the T20 series against England and MRI scans of the knee had revealed a fracture of the Patella.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?