Blow for Pakistan as Junaid ruled out of Asia Cup
Lahore: Pakistan have lost their pace spearhead, Junaid Khan for the forthcoming Asia Cup tournament after he was ruled out with a knee injury, which he picked during the recently-concluded series against England in the United Arab Emirates.
Junaid had sustained a torn stomach muscle last year in November during the series against Sri Lanka, which ruled him out of action for six weeks.
Sources close to the revamped national selection committee today said that Junaid would not be available for the tournament in Dhaka.
"He is out because the new chief selector, Iqbal Qasim has made it clear to the board that he will take only select 100 per cent fit players in the national team while Dav Whatmore, who is due to take over as head coach by Sunday, has also told the board he lays lot of stress on fitness," the source said.
The source said the national selection committee is expected to meet tomorrow in Lahore to select the Asia Cup squad after consultation with captain, Misbah-ul-Haq and Whatmore.
"Junaid is out for at least three weeks which means there is a bright chance that the selectors might recall fast bowler, Mohammad Sami who had a successful time in the Bangladesh Premier League," the source said.
He said since the Asia Cup was being held in Mirpur where most of the BPL matches were held, the selectors would be giving a lot of weight to the performance of Pakistani players in the Bangladesh league.
"Sami, Ahmad Shehzad and even Imran Nazir are likely to be considered for the Asia Cup," he added.
Another source said Junaid, 21,had injured himself during the T20 series against England and MRI scans of the knee had revealed a fracture of the Patella.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing