Bob Willis `amazed` with Alastair Cook not consulting ex batting mentor Gooch
London: Former England skipper Bob Willis has said that he is amazed that skipper Alastair Cook has not consulted his mentor Graham Gooch since the Essex and England great was axed as the team`s batting coach three months ago.
Willis is surprised that Cook, who averages a dismal 14.33 in Test cricket this year, has not consulted coach Gooch, who helped him score over 8,000 international runs before being recently axed.
Willis is surprised that Cook, who phoned Gooch to tell him he was being ditched as England`s batting coach, has not continued to use him as a consultant.
Willis said that there has been this bright new dawn in English cricket, although they are still waiting for the sunrise, and added that coach Andy Flower has gone, national selector Geoff Miller and England managing director Hugh Norris have gone.
Willis further added that Kevin Pietersen has gone and Gooch has gone; Cook and bowling coach David are just about the only survivors from last winter.
Willis, who took 325 Test wickets for England, said that in his opinion the last thing Cook, Peter Moores, Paul Downton and James Whitaker want to be seen doing is to turn back the page after only four Tests.
However, he added that for an individual thing like batting, there is no harm in consulting trusted allies.
Willis said that if Cook has not spoken to Gooch about his batting for months, he is very surprised and the skipper in his current predicament would do well to seek out his old mentor.
Willis added that if he were in Cook`s shoes right now, he would swallow a bit of pride and pick up the phone to Gooch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?