Bollywood spot boy arrested for IPL spot fixing
Hyderabad/New Delhi: A spot boy in Bollywood movies was arrested on Friday from Hyderabad for the Indian Premier League (IPL) spot fixing scandal, Delhi Police sources said.
Mohammad Ahya alias Yusuf, 45, was arrested at the Hyderabad airport while trying to flee to Dubai, the sources said.
"One of the arrested bookies, Chandresh Patel, revealed Ahya`s name. We will be bringing him to Delhi," a Delhi Police official said. This takes the number of arrests in the IPL spot fixing case to 19.
Ahya, based in Mumbai, was arrested by Delhi Police at the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport on Hyderabad`s outskirts when he was about to board a flight to Dubai, police sources said.
"Ahya was working as a conduit between bookies and fixers for this season`s IPL matches," a Delhi Police official said.
While questioning Patel, the name Yusuf surfaced. Further questioning revealed that Yusuf was actually Mohammad Ahya. A team of Delhi Police Special Cell laid a trap and nabbed him from the Hyderabad airport`s security hold area, the officer said.
Ahya, a resident of Mumbai and native of Hyderabad, started his career as a spot boy on film sets in 1984. He also worked as a spot boy in the films of veteran actor Dilip Kumar. He was a spot boy in a movie set which was released in 2010, the officer said.
Prior to his arrest, Ahya was working as a spot boy while spot fixing IPL matches, police said.
"He got in touch with Patel this year before the IPL started. He contacted several players of IPL for spot fixing on Patel`s instructions," he added.
Police said Ahya travelled to Dubai frequently.
The involvement of Bollywood stars and an underworld don based in Dubai in the spot fixing has not been ruled out.
"Our team is working on all angles and investigations are on," the officer added.
Delhi Police arrested Rajasthan Royals cricketers S. Sreesanth, Chandila, Ankeet Chavan and 11 bookies in a post-midnight operation in Delhi, Mumbai and Ahmedabad May 16, exposing the spot fixing scam.
Actor Vindu Dara Singh was also arrested on allegations of spot fixing in IPL matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened