Bond and Franklin ready for New Zealand recall
Sydney, Jan 29: New Zealand are set to recall fast bowlers Shane Bond and James Franklin for Tuesday`s crucial tri-series one-day match against England.
The pair missed Sunday`s clash with Australia at the WACA in Perth to conserve their energy for Tuesday, knowing another New Zealand victory will almost certainly end England`s chance of making the playoffs.
New Zealand thrashed England by 90 runs in Adelaide last week to earn a valuable bonus point that could prove decisive in the battle to see which team joins Australia in the best-of-three final.
Although New Zealand lost to Australia on Sunday, their brave run-chase has them brimming with confidence ahead of the match with England.
The Kiwis looked to have no hope of winning when Australia piled on 343-5 on a scorching hot day at the WACA in Perth but got within eight runs after replying with 335-5.
"When you concede 343 you`ve got to steel up and be as positive as possible, and the innings just gained momentum," New Zealand skipper Stephen Fleming told reporters after the match.
"We`ve felt we`re getting close for a while and we`ve had some good games."
Jacob Oram played the starring role, scoring an unbeaten century off 71 balls, the fastest hundred ever made by a New Zealander in a one-day international.
The big all-rounder also bowled five overs in the searing heat but has recovered well and is hoping to continue his form against the English at the same ground on Tuesday.
"I haven`t hit it that well for that duration," he said.
"There`s been little cameos of 30-40 when I`ve hit it pretty well but five or six sixes, I was pretty happy with that."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city