Bookie Shobhan Mehta sent in police custody
Mumbai: A big-time bookie Shobhan Mehta, arrested in connection with the IPL betting scandal, was on Saturday remanded in city police custody as investigators want to probe his alleged role in spot-fixing and links in Pakistan.
Mehta was produced before a Magistrate in Esplanade Court, which sent him in police remand for six days. Police told the court that Mehta was involved in placing large scale bets in the just-concluded IPL season in the name of "Arjun" through arrested bookie Ashwin Agarwal alias Tinku Delhi.
Ashwin had been earlier arrested by Delhi Police in IPL spot-fixing scandal. Later, Mumbai Crime Branch, probing the IPL betting case, took his custody.
Since he was in touch with Ashwin, Mehta may be involved in spot-fixing also, police said, adding "We want to probe and uncover his suspected role in spot-fixing."
Police stated Mehta was arrested in 2005 in a betting case and he had links in Pakistan. "We would like to probe if he was in touch with Pakistan associates this time also."
The investigators said Mehta had three cellphones with SIM cards procured in the name of Manish Shah. He got these cards using fake documents. Two of these phones are yet to be recovered. He was also in touch with some of the arrested and wanted accused in the IPL betting case.
After hearing the arguments, the Magistrate sent him in police custody till July 12.
Mehta alias Kalachowkie, 48, was picked up from a casino on-board a boat in Goa on Thursday and formally arrested by Mumbai Police yesterday.
With this, the number of accused in the betting case has gone up to 17. These included Chennai Super Kings owner Gurunath Meiyappan, who is also son-in-law of Cricket Board President N Srinivasan, Bollywood actor Vindoo Dara Singh, and bookies Ramesh Vyas, Ashok Vyas, Pandurang Kadam. Meiyappan and Vindoo are out on bail.
In the spot-fixing case, the Delhi Police had arrested three cricketers - S Sreesanth, Ajit Chandila and Ankeet Chavan of Rajasthan Royals - and 25 others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now