Bopanna-Qureshi enters semi-final of men`s doubles event
New York: The fifth seeded Indo-Pak pair of Rohan Bopanna and Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi entered the semi-finals of the mens` doubles event of the US Open defeating the British pair of Colin Fleming and Ross Hutchins in a grueling three-setter.
At the end of 135-minute battle, the Indo-Pak Express prevailed with scoreline reading 7-5, 2-6, 7-5 in their favour. The duo will now take on Polish pair of Marcin Matkowski and Maruisz Fyrstenberg who defeated Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi on Thursday.
It has been second year in a running the Bopanna-Qureshi had done well at Flushing Meadows having reached the final in the last time eventually losing to Bryan brothers.
It was indeed a tough fight for the Indo-Pak duo but their winning percentage of 85 percent on first serves proved to be decisive.
Although the winners made more unforced errors but they also ensured that on half a dozen occasions, they were on the verge of breaking the British pair. But they were only successful on three occasions while the British pair only got four shots and converted three of them. Two of breaks they got were in the second set when Bopanna-Qureshi looked out of sorts.
The other semi-final will feature Austrian-German pair of Jurgen Melzer and Philipp Petzschner who will meet Italian pair of Simon Bollei and Fabio Fongini.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test