Bopara slams Willis for England ball-tampering claims
Johannesburg: England bowler Ravi Bopara has slammed former captain Bob Willis for his claims of ball tampering against England during the ICC Champions Trophy.
Willis, one of only four England bowlers to have taken 300 Test wickets, said that leading umpire Aleem Dar was `on England`s case` and `that one individual is scratching the ball for England`.
According to the report, former fast bowler Willis, now a television pundit, made his comments after Dar and fellow on-field umpire Billy Bowden changed the ball during England`s group stage loss to Sri Lanka at The Oval.
Hitting back at Willis` claims, Bopara said that the claims were annoying, sad and depressing, especially due to the fact that they were made in the middle of a global competition, adding that he felt that it was unacceptable of Willis to have raised such a storm given the fact that England had been doing well in the tournament.
The medium-pacer, who is often given the job of looking after the ball for both county and his country, further said that Willis should have gone on the wave with England and enjoyed their performance, instead of creating negative publicity about the team.
Stating that they have learnt to look after the white ball as well as the red ball, Bopara also said that they had discussed as a team about ways to shine the ball to make it perform well, adding that the white ball should be made to swing the same way as the red ball.
Bopara further said that the seam in the ball should be kept standing up as long as possible, adding that one side of the ball should be very smooth to help with lateral movement.
England one-day coach Ashley Giles had insisted after Willis` allegations that the team`s conduct had been above board, following which, the International Cricket Council said nothing in the umpire s` report warranted further investigation, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt