Botha slams Lehmann for calling ‘chucker’ sans biometric evidence
Sydney: South Africa off spinner Johan Botha has slammed former Australia Test batsman Darren Lehmann for berating West Indies all rounder Marlon Samuels’ bowling action without any appropriate biometric evidence.
Big Bash League team Brisbane Heat coach Lehmann was reprimanded by Cricket Australia (CA) and given a suspended 3000 dollar fine for questioning the legality Samuels`` off-spin action after a loss to the Melbourne Renegades last Saturday in Melbourne, News.com.au reports.
Botha said he feels for Samuels, having to endure the stigma of chucking, which the former Proteas skipper claimed through his own sour experience can only be determined through science.
Botha, who had to endure three rounds of biomechanical testing at the University of Western Australia up to 2009 to prove his off-spin action was legal, said it is almost impossible to find out whether a bowler’s action is legal or not, adding that only science could prove a bowler’s action illegal.
Botha also sympathized with Samuels, saying he knows from first hand experience how it feels when someone constantly demeans you by calling you a chucker.
The South African also said it is easy for people to make comments from outside the field, and added that if Samuels was not bowling well, no body would have even bothered about his action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!