Botham tips Ben Stokes to be next Flintoff during return Ashes
London: Former cricketer Sir Ian Botham has said that England player Ben Stokes could become an England Ashes hero this winter, following in Freddie Flintoff`s footsteps after shedding his cricketing bad boy image.
According to The Daily Star, Botham and England bowling coach David Saker believe Stokes may have the skill and potential to fill the crucial No.6 all-rounder`s spot in both forms of the game. This is despite the fact Stokes still needs to break into Alastair Cook`s team and that he is still learning his trade at international level, the report said.
Stokes` England dreams looked to be over when he was sent home early from the Lions tour to Australia at the start of the year following a late-night drinking incident, the report said. However, Stokes kept his head down and vowed to become what England is desperate for him to become the new Freddie, the report added. Botham said that from what he had seen, Stokes had much to offer the side and could be a great all-rounder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 50 seats, BJP in 32; big prestige battle for both parties
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai, Thane; BJP leading in Pune, Nagpur, Solapur, Akola