Bravo matches Lara`s record of Test average
Kolkata: Brian Lara`s comparison with compatriot Darren Bravo is not something new, but the youngster hit another similarity with the West Indian great when his century against India made his average - 47.05 - exactly the same as that of former captain after 12 Tests.
Lara, who retired in 2007 also averaged 47.05 after 12 Tests before going on to become one of the greatest West Indian batsman with 11,953 Test runs including a personal best of 400 not out which remains the best ever in an innings.
Bravo hit a classy 136 studded with 16 fours and four sixes in the second innings of the West Indies after they were followed on by India but only to lose the match by an innings and 15 runs here.
For the 22-year-old, who made his international debut (ODI) against India two years ago, it was his second century in a fortnight, having scored a fluent 195 against Bangladesh in a winning cause in Dhaka in the October 29 Test.
Incidentally, both his centuries came in the second innings as Bravo has showed the right intent with striking batting similarity as that of the Windies great.
A diminutive looking Bravo has the same flamboyance as that of Lara while the trademark swift shuffle and the follow through while playing the ball was also seen in his batting. It`s not surprising that Bravo considers Lara, his uncle, as his role model.
"I am quite honoured by the fact that I am compared with Brian Lara. He is definitely my role model," he said.
"I play my natural game and look something like Lara but nevertheless I know that emulating him will be difficult. To achieve, what he has is quite big. Hopefully, I will finish with some of the good players up there," said a modest Bravo after his century.
As a matter of fact, Bravo`s mother Earlene and Lara are first cousins. Brian Lara`s mother is the father`s sister of Earlene.
Notwithstanding the pile of records Lara has, Bravo incidentally gone one step ahead today. Lara does not have a century against India while Bravo has one under his belt after today`s knock.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?