Bravo matches Lara`s record of Test average
Kolkata: Brian Lara`s comparison with compatriot Darren Bravo is not something new, but the youngster hit another similarity with the West Indian great when his century against India made his average - 47.05 - exactly the same as that of former captain after 12 Tests.
Lara, who retired in 2007 also averaged 47.05 after 12 Tests before going on to become one of the greatest West Indian batsman with 11,953 Test runs including a personal best of 400 not out which remains the best ever in an innings.
Bravo hit a classy 136 studded with 16 fours and four sixes in the second innings of the West Indies after they were followed on by India but only to lose the match by an innings and 15 runs here.
For the 22-year-old, who made his international debut (ODI) against India two years ago, it was his second century in a fortnight, having scored a fluent 195 against Bangladesh in a winning cause in Dhaka in the October 29 Test.
Incidentally, both his centuries came in the second innings as Bravo has showed the right intent with striking batting similarity as that of the Windies great.
A diminutive looking Bravo has the same flamboyance as that of Lara while the trademark swift shuffle and the follow through while playing the ball was also seen in his batting. It`s not surprising that Bravo considers Lara, his uncle, as his role model.
"I am quite honoured by the fact that I am compared with Brian Lara. He is definitely my role model," he said.
"I play my natural game and look something like Lara but nevertheless I know that emulating him will be difficult. To achieve, what he has is quite big. Hopefully, I will finish with some of the good players up there," said a modest Bravo after his century.
As a matter of fact, Bravo`s mother Earlene and Lara are first cousins. Brian Lara`s mother is the father`s sister of Earlene.
Notwithstanding the pile of records Lara has, Bravo incidentally gone one step ahead today. Lara does not have a century against India while Bravo has one under his belt after today`s knock.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information