Bresnan to miss England tour opener
Dubai: England will be without all-rounder Tim Bresnan for Saturday`s opening match of their tour of the United Arab Emirates.
The 26-year-old is still recovering from surgery to remove bone fragments from his right elbow just over a month ago.
Captain said Bresnan, who has not bowled in practice since arriving in Dubai with the squad on Tuesday, would not be risked in the three-day match against a team made up of players from cricket`s second-tier countries.
"He`s got some swelling following his operation," said Strauss. "It`s making it a bit uncomfortable for him.
"With operations you can never be 100 percent sure how the recuperation is going to go but there are no long-term worries about it. Hopefully the recovery will continue and he will be ready for the second warm-up game."
Fellow paceman Chris Tremlett is also a doubt for Saturday`s game because of a sore eye.
Strauss said England would approach the match, the first of two games they play ahead of the first test against Pakistan in Dubai starting on January 17, with high intensity.
"Like always we will be looking to use it to create some momentum early on the tour," he said. "We are not looking to ease into this fixture.
"I think that would be the wrong way to go. We are looking to hit the ground running and hopefully that will allow us to get out of this first game with a win."
Opposition captain William Porterfield of Ireland said his players were relishing the prospect of playing against the world`s number one test team.
"It is going to be a great occasion and a chance for the lads to show what they can do," he said. "There are lads here who are looking to prove a point that they belong at this level."
The tour is taking place in the United Arab Emirates because of security concerns in Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued