British PM defends `remarkable` Pietersen
London: British Prime Minister David Cameron on Thursday became embroiled in the row over the end of Kevin Pietersen`s England career, saying there was a "powerful argument" in favour of the star batsman.
Pietersen was axed from all England duty on Tuesday, with officials at the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) citing a need "to rebuild not only the team but also the team ethic and philosophy" following the side`s 5-0 Ashes thrashing in Australia.
But the departure of the gifted Pietersen, and in particular the ECB`s lack of clarity over why he was being jettisoned, has provoked a huge public backlash.
One of Pietersen`s most prominent supporters has been his friend, CNN interviewer Piers Morgan, who has been scathing of the decision to call time on his England career.
Morgan was previously editor of Britain`s Daily Mirror tabloid newspaper, a traditional supporter of the main opposition Labour Party and a staunch critic of Cameron`s Conservative-led coalition government.
But Cameron, in an interview broadcast today by BBC Radio Lancashire, said he found himself in "sympathy" with Morgan regarding Pietersen.
"I am an enormous fan of Kevin Pietersen and I have had some of my most enjoyable times watching him tonking the ball all over the park," Cameron said.
"His average (47.28 in Tests) is remarkable. It is not often I have sympathy for Piers Morgan but I thought he was making quite a powerful argument this morning on my radio.
"But I will let the England selectors pick the England team, I think I had better stay out of this one."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'