Briton punished for stealing T20 World Cup tickets
Colombo: A Briton was given a one-year suspended prison sentence by a Sri Lankan court Thursday for stealing 84 International Cricket Council (ICC) Twenty20 World Cup tickets.
Buller Pissero Antonio of Trevodrive Newhall in Manchester was caught by security guards when he attempted to steal the tickets while they were on sale in Colombo,as reported by a news agency.
He was later formally arrested by the police and presented before the Colombo chief magistrate.
When produced before court he pleaded guilty. However due to the fact that he had no prior convictions he was given a one year prison sentence suspended for five years by chief magistrate Rashmi Singapulli.
He was arrested and the complaint made on Sept. 30.
The ICC T20 World Cup started Sep 18 and ended this weekend with the West Indies lifting the cup.
Tickets were in high demand since Sri Lanka had made it to the finals and several arrests were made locally of people attempting to sell tickets at an inflated price.
A teenager who was arrested had posted sale of tickets on his Facebook page and asked for 14 times the price of a ticket that was originally only $10 US dollars.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday