Broad might be rested for Edgbaston Test
London: England is planning to rest Stuart Broad at Edgbaston this week after resting a disappointed Jimmy Anderson, who wanted to play in the third Investec Test against West Indies.
The move would see Test returns for Steve Finn and Graham Onions. If they impress in practice, they will most likely team up with Tim Bresnan and Graeme Swann in a four-man attack.
Coach Andy Flower is keen to conserve his first-choice new-ball pairing before the start of a busy summer looming, including the Test series against South Africa.
But another aspect of the rotation is that Flower is also keen to see how Finn and Onions shape in a match situation.
Anderson’s disappointment was made clear in his Sunday newspaper column, stressing that he was fully fit despite suggestions he had struggled at Trent Bridge with a slight quadriceps problem.
National selector Geoff Miller explained England’s thinking with regard to Anderson at least, when naming the 12-man squad.
“James Anderson will miss this Test as we look to manage his workload ahead of a busy period – a decision which is the best interests of the team and James himself,” said Miller.
“We have been made to work hard for our two victories and are delighted to have secured the series. However, we know that we will need to continue to play some good cricket if we want a third win,” he said.
Following the third Test, England play West Indies in three ODIs and one T20, Australia in five ODIs and then South Africa in three Tests, five ODIs and three T20s – all before they travel to Sri Lanka for the defence of their world T20 crown.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!