Broad’s six-wicket spell destroys Kiwis in Wellington Test
Wellington: England captain Alastair Cook enforced the follow-on after a six-wicket bag from Stuart Broad helped the tourists dismiss New Zealand for 254 in their first innings of the second Test match in Wellington, falling 11 runs short of avoiding follow on.
New Zealand requires a day of gritty batting or assistance from the weather as they stare down defeat to England in the second cricket test at the Basin Reserve in Wellington as the hosts will resume on the fourth day at 77-1 in their second innings, still 134 runs behind.
Opener Peter Fulton survived a nervous start to be 41 not out at stumps, with Kane Williamson alongside on 16, having avoided being dismissed twice in a day.
The pair added 52 in 23 overs in an encouraging start to the rescue mission. Rain could come to New Zealand``s rescue if they survive past the first session tomorrow, with showers forecast. Persistent rain is expected on Monday.
Hamish Rutherford (15) was the sole wicket to fall in the final session, caught brilliantly by Ian Bell at leg slip off spinner Monty Panesar to give the left-armer his first wicket of the Test.
Earlier, Broad took 6-51 as New Zealand were skittled in 89.2 overs, just before tea on the third day in reply to England``s first innings of 465 at a sold out Basin Reserve.
They were 12 short of the follow-on target, and Cook asked New Zealand to bat again as they faced a huge task to save the test and avoid going 1-0 down in the series with one match to play.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price