Brutal Corey Anderson slams fastest ODI century off 36 balls against West Indies
Queenstown: New Zealand all-rounder Corey Anderson cracked the fastest century in one-day international history on Wednesday, reaching three figures in just 36 deliveries against the West Indies.
The previous record was held by Shahid Afridi, who took 37 balls to reach his ton playing for Pakistan against Sri Lanka in 1996.
Anderson, who finished the New Zealand innings unbeaten on 131, hit 14 sixes in his whirlwind assault, the third highest number of sixes in an ODI innings.
India`s Rohit Sharma hit 16 sixes against Australia two months ago and Australia`s Shane Watson hit 15 against Bangladesh in 2011.
New Zealand reached a daunting 283 for four off just 21 overs in the rain-shortened third one-day international.
Anderson said that throughout his innings he had no inkling he was on target to break Afridi`s record.
"I didn`t have a clue actually. It`s not that I`d look it up and try and take it down. But it`s nice to have it."
Anderson went to the wicket with New Zealand at 84 for three and with Ryder already on 41 he thought he would be playing a support role.
"I thought I would look at singles and try and get myself in but a couple came out of the middle and you keep going.
"Me and Jesse started thinking every ball was either going to get us out or go for six and it`s nice to have that feeling when you`re out there."
As for their mid-wicket conversations during their quick-fire partnership of 191, Anderson said the talk was brief.
"It was `shot-bro` and that`s about it. We couldn`t say too much."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them