Buchanan supports Fletcher`s appointment as India coach
Melbourne: Duncan Fletcher`s vast coaching experience and his similarity to his successful predecessor, Gary Kirsten, will hold the Zimbabwean in good stead during his tenure as India coach, believes former Australia coach John Buchanan.
Fletcher was appointed as India coach for a two-year term after Kirsten quit the job following a successful stint, which saw India reclaim the World Cup after a hiatus of 28 years besides reaching the pinnacle of Test rankings.
And Buchanan felt Fletcher is a good choice for the high-profile job despite his none-too-impressive career as a player.
"He`s obviously got a pretty good track record on the international and county circuits, and he`s got a pretty wide range of coaching experience," Buchanan said of Fletcher, who coached England with mixed results from 1999 to 2007.
"He shares some similarities to Gary Kirsten and that obviously is something India would like to maintain, but he also has had greater experience, which should be useful for the phase the Indian team are about to enter into," added Buchanan, who coached Australia to their last two World Cup triumph in 2003 and 2007.
The Queenslander, however, said it would be a challenge for Fletcher to sustain India`s recently-achieved supremacy in world cricket under Kirsten.
"Ahead of him certainly will be the opportunity to sustain the success the Indian team has had up to and including the World Cup," Buchanan was quoted as saying by a website.
"One of the features of that Australian team from the late 1990s through to 2007 was high performance maintained for a long period of time even as a number of players were turned over, and that will be India`s quest now."
The high points of Fletcher`s career was England`s Ashes triumph over Australia in the home series of 2005, England`s first series win in the West Indies in 36 years and taking England to the third spot in Test rankings.
Buchanan has a fair bit of idea about the 62-year-old Zimbabwean`s style of working, having clashed as rival coaches.
"I wouldn`t say Duncan and I were ever very close. He could be a brusque character, he had great competitiveness, which could be seen as keeping to himself at times, you`re in the heat of battle and so the opportunities to get to know each other can be scarce," the Australian said.
"Knowing a number of people who worked closely with him they really enjoyed his methods and his style and the majority was generally pretty happy in how they worked together," said Buchanan as he prepares to take up his new assignment as New Zealand`s director of coaching.
"In that position if you try to be popular you don`t last too long, you need to establish your way and hope that the players and the staff and administration of that team or country buy into what you bring," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India