Sydney: Former Australia coach John Buchanan’s move to help England prepare for this year’s Ashes series in Australia may be scuppered by a cash crunch caused by London’s 2012 Olympics, reports said on Thursday.
Buchanan, 57, helped England in a consultancy role last year as Andrew Strauss’s side regained the Ashes 2-1 at home and had been lined up by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) to continue in the role.
But Buchanan said he has been has been told by ECB that the money to hire him as a coaching consultant might not be available.
“One of things that was said, obviously the world economy is still not in great shape, the England economy is not in great shape, and with the Olympics in 2012, it is going to suck quite a bit of funds out,” Buchanan told The Sydney Morning Herald.
“The ECB may not have the funds or the flexibility – that may impact their decision on whether to take me on.”
Buchanan, who could be a major weapon for England as they attempt to win their first series in Australia since 1986-87, has just returned home from England where he met ECB officials and said he expected them to make a decision within two weeks.
Buchanan, who was at the helm for Australia’s 5-0 Ashes romp at home in 2006-07, predicted the November-January series would be closer.
“Both sides are pretty evenly matched. England have a confidence about themselves,” he said.
The first Test starts at Brisbane’s Gabba ground on November 25.