Butt in India, likely to meet BCCI officials: Sources
Lahore: The Pakistan Cricket Board is tight lipped about a visit by the Chairman Ijaz Butt to New Delhi, even as sources say that the PCB chief may meet the BCCI officials during his visit.
Butt landed in the Indian capital after attending an Iftar dinner hosted by the Indian High Commissioner in Islamabad and these developments are being seen by political and cricket analysts as a positive move forward towards revival of Indo-Pak bilateral cricket relations.
But a PCB official said no official meeting is scheduled with the Indian Cricket Board officials.
"Apparently Butt has gone on a private business visit to India but in given circumstances one can`t rule out the possibility of him meeting with Indian board officials to discuss revival of Indo-Pak ties," one source said.
The appearance of the PCB Chairman at the High Commission is also being given lot of significance and a Pakistan daily, reported on Sunday that it was part of the diplomatic efforts which were aimed at resuming sporting ties between the arch-rivals.
Both Pakistan and India have been facing turbulent relations since the 2009 terrorist attack in Mumbai.
The newspaper said the foreign ministry had specifically advised Butt to attend the Indian High Commission Iftaar dinner.
"We want resumption of dialogue between the two countries and it is a part of our efforts to resume sporting ties because sports can ensure peace in the region," observed the government official in the report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!