CA boss backs India `homework` debacle as important lessons for Australian players
Sydney: Cricket Australia (CA) CEO James Sutherland has backed that infamous `homework` debacle in India, saying that there were lots of lessons for people involved, who will be better for having gone through it.
Former vice captain Shane Watson, Mitchell Johnson, James Pattinson and Usman Khawaja were suspended from the Mohali Test for a disciplinary breach over their failure to complete the homework given to them by coach Mickey Arthur.
Although Sutherland admitted that the entire disciplinary episode could have been avoided if events leading up to it were handled differently, he said that he firmly believed that those decisions would improve the Australian team and Australian cricket in general. According to Sutherland, there was no truth to suggestions that Shane Watson, who subsequently resigned as vice-captain, was being forced out, adding that he respected the all-rounder for calling him to explain his reasons for standing down.
Brad Haddin has since been installed as vice-captain, in an effort to restore dressing-room harmony. Stating that CA was already making plans to develop strong characters and resilient leaders at junior levels, Sutherland said that they will try to continue to identify the talent from a younger age, rather than let the cream rise to the top and then pick them in Australian teams like in the past.
Meanwhile Sutherland denied that CA`s relationship with its old broadcast partner Nine has soured after a new media-rights deal following a lucrative offer from Channel Ten, and also dismissed suggestions that Nine`s disdain for the rotation policy had affected negotiations. The report further said that CA is spruiking a major sponsorship with the Commonwealth Bank, adding that the naming rights deal is estimated at 50 million dollars over four years.
Nine has four weeks to decide whether to match Ten`s offer, reportedly 500 million dollars over five years, and in the meantime faces a CA lawsuit to test whether the Big Bash League should be included in the network`s last rights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in