CA chief Sutherland defends BBL despite suffering big losses
Sydney: Cricket Australia (CA) chief executive James Sutherland has claimed it is a silly argument to suggest the Big Bash League (BBL) is draining the game despite losing 10 million dollar a year.
Sutherland said that the BBL would make a significant profit when it is sold as part of a new television rights deal at the end of this season, News.com.au reports.
Sutherland added they are not concerned about the numbers and are confident with the numbers they will take to the market if they don’t do a deal with Channel Nine before then.
Sutherland then refused to discuss figures but analysts believe the Big Bash is worth 10s of millions as part of an expected 500 million pound, five-year deal. This is despite crowds and ratings being significantly down for the second year of the revamped eight-team Big Bash.
Sutherland said he is not ignoring that they are off a little bit but these numbers from a pay television point of view are absolutely outstanding. He added that these numbers are extra-ordinary when you compare them to (pay TV) AFL or NRL or A League ratings.
Sutherland claimed that domestic cricket in Australia cost 30 million dollar a year to run as an investment and the new Big Bash was costing little more than the old state-based version.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof