CA let me and the team down during `Monkeygate`: Ponting
Melbourne: Former Australia captain Ricky Ponting feels country`s cricket board let him and the entire team down during the 2008 `Monkeygate` controversy, saying that CA officials acted as if the relationship with India mattered more than the national players.
In fresh excerpts of his autobiography `At The Close of Play` published by `The Age`, Ponting has shed some more light on the scandal that threatened the bilateral ties between India and Australia in 2008.
"It was impossible for me not to conclude that they (Cricket Australia) considered Australian cricket`s relationship with India more important than how they looked after us and communicated with us. They let me down and let the team down. I am still struggling to forget it," Ponting has written in the book.
In an earlier excerpts that came out, Ponting had questioned Sachin Tendulkar`s role in the controversy.
Ponting had stated that he didn`t understand why the veteran Indian vouched for Harbhajan Singh during the appeal hearing but did not say anything when match referee Mike Procter initially suspended the spinner for passing allegedly racial comments at all-rounder Andrew Symonds.
"I couldn`t understand why Sachin didn`t tell this to (match referee) Mike Procter in the first place," he had stated.
Talking of Tendulkar, Ponting did pay tribute to the batsman, who would be retiring next month after his 200th Test.
"Sachin is easily, technically the best player I played against but Lara was more of a potential match-winner. Pietersen is easily the best England batsman I played against. He is not scared of big situations," he said.
Away from his contemporaries, Ponting was candid enough to admit that he overstayed his welcome in international cricket.
"I probably played longer than I should have but I needed to be around the team at that time. I wanted to help some of the younger guys through that changeover," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22