CA`s trophy that was never handed to Tendulkar
Melbourne: Sachin Tendulkar`s much awaited ton-of-tons has not only left his fans world over in anticipation, but it has also made Cricket Australia to wait arduously, as it intended to present the Indian batsman with a memento on reaching the historic feat.
CA planned to present the batting legend a nice little memento after he scored his 100th international hundred during the just concluded tour Down Under, the `Australian` reported.
Cushioned in a metal box, the trophy, featuring a golden Kookaburra ball on a plinth, criss-crossed Australia and followed Tendulkar at every venue only to fail to find the intended recipient.
"Cricket Australia said the Sachin Trophy was en route from Brisbane, where India played their last tri-series league match, to Melbourne (the venue of first tri-series finals), perchance India made the finals," the newspaper said under the headline `Sachin gives us a Godot moment`.
Tendulkar, however, received a special presentation from the South Australian Cricket Association (SACA) at the Adelaide and was also presented with a sculpted bust of Don Bradman in Sydney.
Interestingly, the plaque on the bust presented to Tendulkar read "in whom Sir Donald Bradman saw something of himself", the newspaper said.
While Tendulkar raised hopes of getting to the elusive feat during the Test series against Australia, with a fluent 73 in the series opener at Melbourne and another 80-run knock during the second Test at Sydney, he looked a distant shadow of his self in the ODI tri-series that followed.
Tendulkar scored 143 runs in seven outings in the tri-series at an average 20.42 with his highest being the 48 against Sri Lanka at Perth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister