CA to keep list of 30 players `secret` for ICC Champions Trophy
Sydney: The International Cricket Council (ICC) has reportedly given permission to Cricket Australia (CA) to keep its list of 30 players in contention to play in June`s Champions Trophy secret, going against a dominant worldwide trend of disclosure.
Participating nations must submit a preliminary list of 30 players two months before any major ICC tournament like the World Cup, World Twenty20 and the Champions Trophy, and then cut down the squad to 15 players a month before the tournament.
Although CA will comply with the ruling, however, under an agreement with the ICC`s operations division, it will not disclose its list of the proposed 30 players, in a similar manner like its submission of its preliminary list without public disclosure before the 1996 World Cup.
CA has disclosed its preliminary squad for every tournament in the past 17 years, most recently for the men in last year`s World Twenty20 and for the women in this year`s World Cup.
The probable reason behind CA`s decision in holding back the information given to media and its supporters is that its heavily scrutinised selectors already have a firm idea of their final squad, meaning many in the squad of 30 would not be a realistic chance of selection anyway.
With the Champions Trophy, an eight-nation 50-over tournament to be held in England, the squads are due to be submitted to the ICC by the weekend.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey