CA to shelve `controversial` rotation policy for Ashes

Last Updated: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 14:24

Melbourne: Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland has announced that the controversial rotation policy will be shelved for the upcoming Ashes campaigns even as the fallout continues after head coach Mickey Arthur`s shock axing.

According to the Age, the rotation policy, or `informed player management` as chief selector John Inverarity called it, had been designed to prevent players, particularly fast bowlers, from injury and burnout but was despised by many, including a host of former Test greats and broadcast partner Channel Nine.

However, the report added, CA has decided to turn its back on the policy, which was one of the key initiatives of the regime led by cricket boss Pat Howard and Inverarity, in what shapes as another last-minute change to Australia`s game plan for reclaiming the urn.

According to Sutherland, the team will not be seeing any of the former rotation policy in the fashion of the past in the upcoming Ashes series and the next summer in Australia, although he defended the policy, saying that it was about providing opportunities to players at an international level for a team that is in transition, to see how they cope with that and respond.

Stating that the Australian selectors have adopted such a policy, especially in one-day cricket, for over a decade, Sutherland further said that he is confident that they can pick the best Australian team for the five-Test series.

However, new coach and former Test batsman Darren Lehmann, who was not a fan of the policy, had said that they have to create cricketers, not athletes, adding that although players can be helped with sports science, it should not be forced on them.

CA, which was constantly under fire last summer over their selections, was criticised for unveiling a rookie pace attack for the deciding third Test against South Africa, which they lost heavily and surrendered their chance to claim the No.1 world ranking.

Channel Nine, which recently signed a 590 million-dollar TV deal with CA, had also slammed the board when crowd favourite David Warner was rested at the same time as injured captain Michael Clarke for the start of the ODI series against Sri Lanka, the report added.

(ANI)



First Published: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 14:24

comments powered by Disqus