CAB gaffe mars opening day of local league
Kolkata: In an embarrassment of sorts for Cricket Association of Bengal, the opening day`s proceedings of a senior division league could not be held as the groundsmen had poured water on the pitch, unaware of the East Bengal-Kalighat fixture.
The miscommunication has led to a blame game in the CAB with the veteran local curator, Prabir Mukherjee, once again in the middle of the latest fiasco.
The 83-year-old, who was in the centre of a controversy of a pitch row during India-England Test in December last year, today claimed that this had happened because of a miscommunication on the part of the CAB.
"This would not have happened had they informed me about the fixture. Even I was not there as I was running high fever Monday and took a day`s leave. The poor groundsmen did not know and had watered the field," Mukherjee said.
Passing the buck to the secretary, CAB treasurer Biswarup Dey said, "It`s the secretary who looks after the local matches. We have to find out what happened. It was a clear case of miscommunication."
As per the rules, a minimum of 40 over-a-side match has to be played for the two-day league to be on.
The officials will take a final call on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day