Cairns` global reputation as "hard and fair captain" hangs in balance in UK court
London: Former Kiwi cricketer Chris Cairns’ reputation is at stake as his libel case has reached its final stages in the High Court in London.
Cairns sued Indian Premier League chief Lalit Modi for his tweets alleging that the former fixed matches in the Indian Cricket League in 2008.
Cairns gave up 700,000 dollars of a one million dollar contract with the cricket league in October 2008 after executives confronted him about match-fixing allegations.
Cairns’ lawyer Andrew Caldecott said fixing matches would "not only be destroying the past but also destroying the future" for his client stuff.co.nz reports.
Caldecott also indicated he will pinpoint differences between evidence given in court by Indian players and their previous written statements, in his closing comments.
He said Cairns was defending his global reputation as a "hard and fair captain", and that reputation was "in itself a commercial asset".
Modi`s counsel, Ronald Thwaites contended that Cairns had been part of "a diabolical scheme that involved blackmailing young players", referring to six Indians captained by the latter in the 2008 Chandigarh Lions team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India