Cairns libel case against Modi to start March 5
Wellington: Former New Zealand cricketer Chris Cairns` libel suit against sacked Indian Premier League Commissioner Lalit Modi will come up for hearing in the London High Court on March 5.
Modi had alleged on his Twitter account in 2010 that he barred Cairns from taking part in the tournament due to "his past record in match-fixing".
After Cairns filed a libel suit against him, Modi went on to state that, "Let him sue us, then we will produce what we have to in court."
`The Sunday Star-Times` reported that "the case will be heard in the High Court in London on March 5. It is expected to last up to 10 days."
"Cairns` lawyer, Andrew Fitch-Holland, said from England last night that he would be unable to represent the cricket star because he was a witness in the case.
"Fitch-Holland said Cairns would instead be represented by `the country`s leading libel barrister, Andrew Caldecott, QC`," the report added.
Modi`s Twitter post referred to 2008 when Cairns` contract with the rebel Indian Cricket League was cancelled due to "fitness issues", raising speculation that it had been terminated due to allegations of match-fixing.
"There is not any truth in any suggestion I have ever been associated with any type of match-fixing," Cairns had retorted at that time.
Fitch-Holland said Cairns was looking forward to getting his name cleared.
"He`s in the rudest of health, as is his little girl and his wife, and he`s looking forward to getting over to the UK next week and clearing his name," he said.
"Our case has always been completely consistent and this is just a matter of Chris wanting to clear his name. We are confident that is now a very short time away and we are looking forward to it."