Can Gautam Gambhir make a comeback in the Indian team?
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
New Delhi: The discarded Indian opener, Gautam Gambhir, is still hopeful of making a comeback in the Indian team in the near future. The southpaw has performed decently in the Indian domestic league (Ranji Trophy) to knock the doors of national selectors.
While representing Delhi this season, Gambhir has played some impressive knocks. He scored a total of 578 runs in the Ranji season, including a 153-run knock against Haryana just before the Test squad to South Africa was announced. But unluckily, he was not picked for the high profile series.
Gambhir got unlucky for the second time too, when Shikhar Dhawan retained his spot in the Test side for the New Zealand tour even after having a disappointing South African tour. Even then the 32-year-old left-hander hasn`t lost hopes of a comeback, as he stated that he still has the hunger to perform and would fight his way back into the national team.
As India have too many overseas tours in the near future, Gambhir still has ample of opportunities to make his place in the side. His previous overseas experiences will surely give him a definitive edge over other contenders. But to regain his place in the team, he still needs to keep scoring runs in whichever league he is playing.
At the moment, Gambhir`s primary target is to make a comeback and for that he is focusing on the domestic tournaments and leagues that are in the pipeline.
“Look I don`t know what`s in store tomorrow and 2015 World Cup is like looking too far ahead. I would like to think about Vijay Hazare Trophy and then about IPL which also is not anytime soon. I like to take each day as it comes and focus on my performance,” Gambhir told a news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials