Can Gautam Gambhir make a comeback in the Indian team?
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
New Delhi: The discarded Indian opener, Gautam Gambhir, is still hopeful of making a comeback in the Indian team in the near future. The southpaw has performed decently in the Indian domestic league (Ranji Trophy) to knock the doors of national selectors.
While representing Delhi this season, Gambhir has played some impressive knocks. He scored a total of 578 runs in the Ranji season, including a 153-run knock against Haryana just before the Test squad to South Africa was announced. But unluckily, he was not picked for the high profile series.
Gambhir got unlucky for the second time too, when Shikhar Dhawan retained his spot in the Test side for the New Zealand tour even after having a disappointing South African tour. Even then the 32-year-old left-hander hasn`t lost hopes of a comeback, as he stated that he still has the hunger to perform and would fight his way back into the national team.
As India have too many overseas tours in the near future, Gambhir still has ample of opportunities to make his place in the side. His previous overseas experiences will surely give him a definitive edge over other contenders. But to regain his place in the team, he still needs to keep scoring runs in whichever league he is playing.
At the moment, Gambhir`s primary target is to make a comeback and for that he is focusing on the domestic tournaments and leagues that are in the pipeline.
“Look I don`t know what`s in store tomorrow and 2015 World Cup is like looking too far ahead. I would like to think about Vijay Hazare Trophy and then about IPL which also is not anytime soon. I like to take each day as it comes and focus on my performance,” Gambhir told a news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- EPL 2016-17: Gameweek 3 — City go top with win over Hammers
- Glowing distant stars become Hubble's latest subject! - See pic
- PM Modi reaches out to people of Kashmir Valley, talks of 'unity and compassion', slams those fomenting trouble
- Clothes that repair their own rips? Study swears on new coatings!
- BCCI exempts Chennai Super Kings, Rajasthan Royals from paying annual IPL franchise fee: Report